No Cost, Easy to Do
- Schedule a FREE Water Wise Outdoor Survey with Valley Water!
- The surveyor will assess your current irrigation system and identify any equipment or practices you can change to save water.
- The surveyor can even let you know if you qualify for the Landscape Rebate Program and help measure your landscape.
- Adjust your irrigation schedule throughout the year, cut your irrigation to a third in the fall and turn off during most winters— 20+ gallons/day*
- Do not water yards during and within 48 hours after rainfall.
- Water during the cool part of the day
- Use BAWSCA’s Water Calculator tool to optimize your irrigation schedule and keep your garden thriving while saving water http://bayareagardening.org/calc/
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean sidewalks or other hard surfaces – 8 to 18 gallons/minute
- Cover pools and spas when not in use.
No or Low Cost, More Effort Required
- Use hoses with a shut-off nozzle or a handheld bucket.
- Apply 2″ to 3″ of mulch around trees and plants to reduce moisture loss—20 to 30 gallons/day
- Adjust sprinklers to prevent overspray and runoff—12 to 15 gallons/day
- Don’t allow sprinklers to water your street, driveway or sidewalk.
- Repair leaks and broken sprinkler heads—10 gallons/minute
Higher Cost, Most Effort Required
- Replace lawn with a water-wise garden—30 to 60 gallons/day/1,000 square feet*
- Participate in the Landscape Conversion Rebate Program!
- Install drip irrigation for trees, shrubs, and plants—15 gallons/day*
- Update to a weather based irrigation controller that automatically adjusts watering times based on local weather conditions— 24+ gallons/day**
- Install a graywater laundry-to-landscape system—17 gallons/day*
- Install covers on pool and spas to reduce evaporation— 30 gallons/day
- Repair pool leaks—can be over 200 gallons/day
Learn About Lawn Care During a Drought. More info
* Rebates may be available. More info
Visit Bay Area Gardening to learn more about water wise gardening!
Other Resources: H2ouse Water Saver Home, Calscape.org