No cost, easy to do
- Determine how well your household is doing at conserving water by using the home waterworks calculator.
- Perform a Water-Wise Indoor Survey to help you identify where to look for potential leaks.
- Turn off water when shaving and brushing teeth— 10 gallons per person per day
- Wait for full loads to wash clothes— saves 15–45 gallons per load
- Fill your dishwasher instead of washing each dish by hand and only run the dishwasher when full— saves 5–15 gallons per load.
- Don’t let the water run when rinsing dishes if washing by hand—2.5 gallons/minute
- Don’t use the toilet as a wastebasket—1.6 gallons/flush
- Install water saving shower heads and low flow toilets. Saves 19 gallons per person/day.
No or low cost, more effort required
- Fix leaky toilets—30 to 50 gallons/day/toilet
- Conduct a dye-test in toilet tanks to identify silent leaks
- Fix leaky faucets—15 to 20 gallons/day/faucet
- Install aerators on all faucets— Saves 1.2 gallons per person per day.
- Get this and other free water-saving devices using Valley Water’s online shopping cart
Higher cost, most effort required
- Replace older toilets with High Efficiency Toilets (HETs)— Saves 19 gallons per person/day.
- Replace your old clothes washer with a High efficiency clothes washers— Reduces water use by 40%
*Rebates may be available. More info
Save Water Today!